View Single Post
Old 10-29-2005, 09:44 PM

Default Re: $20/$40 high: routine fold

You have to make a reasonable read given no other information. If you have seen the player show (44)7 after such a play, then you must call more. Given the lack of knowledge, I am going to assume a sane person. Is he re-raising to knock out the only other player in the hand with a three flush? I strongly doubt it, and I am going to pretty much eliminate it from my read of this hand. The split 7's with the high kicker occurred to me, but I didn't add them to muddy the waters too much---but---here we go...

If a player is willing to take a stand early with (7K)7 or (A7)7, I usually find that they will lead with it, raising it, hoping that another high pair will thin the field, or just take down the antes right away. He might have limped in, then saw a chance to play the 7's with a high kick heads up, and raised. After the K hits him on 4th street, there are:
A)1 combination of (QQ)7K
B)1 combination of (JJ)7K
C)3 comb. (KK)7K
D)3 comb. (AA)7K
E)3 comb. of (77)7K
F)9 comb. of (7K)7K
G)9 comb. of (7A)7K
If (F.) you are a 75-25 dog
If (G.) you are a 60-40 fav

In pure mathmatics in these 29 chances, you are favored, slightly, 10 times, 34% of the time.

You are almost even money against (QQ)7, 3.5%

You are a significant dog the other 18 times:
19-1 vs. KKK
8-1 vs. 777
2-1 vs.AA
3-1 vs. KK77

Given that the way this hand was played, I think the hands you are most likely up against, in order, are---
(77)7K and (AA)7K

then the next level of possiblities are---
(KK)7K, (7A)7K and (7K)7K

In all but one of these you are a big dog, and favored slight over the (7A)7K

There are two things here---the pure mathmatics or odds of holding a particular hand, and given that they held that hand, the likelyhood they would have played it the way they did.

I therefor think that even though the combinations of rolled 7's and pocket aces are less than the split 7's with kicker, I think that they are most likely.

Add to the fact you are so much of a dog when behind, I stand by my earlier statement---Fold on fourth.

(If later you reply that he showed his cards and they were (5H 3H) 7H Kc As I will hunt you down like a dirty dog [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].