View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Getting Rid Of A Tell

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing live the other day, and a player pointed out to me that my earlobes turn red whenever I have a huge hand. Any ideas on how to control this?

I do feel myself get flustered times when I flop the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

heheheh

In my opinion, tells are very psychological (duhhh) but let me explain...

First of all, why do your ears go red? Is it b/c you're happy? Are you excited? Do you get the same reaction when a hot girl nudges you?

Some tells, too, are deceiving simply b/c the person PERCEIVES their hand differently. For example, the board is
A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Some amateurs may get excited with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
The player trying to get a read on whether his 7 Q (Q's full of 7's) is up against a better full house. Yet the amateur may be giving a "I got a strong hand" tell, thinking that he's in the money with his flush... So, the full house guy may not raise too much thinking the other guy got K Q and a better full house...

See what I mean? THe only way to get rid of a tell is to somehow psychologically manipulate yourself into thinking that your hand, in the long run of things, is good, but you'll lose some hands in the future, so it's no big deal. I.e. short run wins are nice, but no big deal.