View Single Post
Old 08-18-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: No, YOU do

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
most of this article was all right..the complaints were valid..until he

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, object to a portion that you don't like. Telling him to STFU? That his idea is [censored]? That's childish.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's childish? Don't take the STFU so seriously. Do you masturbate to SEXton, when he goes "BAM!!" on the WPT?
Mike's good for the game, but his idea restricts access to the biggest, best tournament in the world. How are you promoting growth in the game, by implementating limitations in order to decrease the number of people in the WSOP main event?
Isn't that what you WANT? bigger and larger tournaments? It'll show the staying power of poker. More and more "average joes" will get enthralled to play in this tournament. If one of them gets a miracle money finish, they can go back to their friends and talk about, "oh I beat Antonio the Magician in a hand and became the new president of Rocks and Rings." Then his average joe friends will be like..."goddamn, how did Joe money in the WSOP. If he can do it, then I can too. SIGN ME UP!"

This all just trickles down into the growth of the game. If the Las Vegas Host, the Rio, can't handle it, I'm sure there is someone else out there who would gladly host the WSOP.

Also, the idea of the raising the buy-in is a valid suggestion. This is still the same buy-in from the first WSOPs in the 70s. 10g's was a pretty large amount back then. You adjust to inflation, who knows what the buy-in would be today. 100,000? I'm no economist. The very first world series were supposed to be restricted to the best in the world with the largest buy-ins and the juiciest pools.
But, now it seems you can't do that. The game has changed where amateurs can now compete with the pros as long as you have the money.

Lastly, the Mike's suggestion poker should be like the PGA is a good idea. There should be some sort of unifying tour, instead of world poker tour...world series of circuit events, etc. poker may turn out to be like that. Sponsors will juice up the money, big-time pros get invites and amateurs can qualify through satellites if they want.