View Single Post
Old 01-14-2005, 11:56 AM

Default Re: 20-40 in tunica; got my fat ast kicked.

Honest to God, I never thought it would happen to me. But of course I know better now. And for those of you who haven't had the rare pleasure of a 30,000 hand run of bad cards, let me promise you this--- it is coming.

This is unfortunately so true.

I've had small bad runs before that at the time I thought were the end of the world.

Then I had my REAL bad run starting in early December. What did Ely say? Like Fraizer in Manilla? That sums up the feeling pretty succintly. I had an entire month where I was getting popped on the turn almost every stinkin hand. It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen. Everyone caught. Every straight and flush got there for them, and none got there for me.

To give you an idea with numbers how bad a run it is, look at my online win-rate with AA. historically I win with AA 74.5% of the time. For the month of December, my WR with AA dropped to 58% (a 22% drop in win-rate). I played over 10K hands in December.

I thought the bad run was over until I went to Tunica last week. I actually went from 10:00 am until 10:30 PM in a game without scooping so much as the blinds. At 30-60 nonetheless (I did take 2 significant breaks from the table, so it was actually like 8 hours of play without a pot). A friend of mine sitting next to me at one point said "ya know scott, sometimes tomorrow is another day". When I finally got up I was down 5K for the day.

The following day I sat in a wonderful 20-40 game. There were 2 other solid players in the game. One of these is a young Canadian kid who I've played with many times before. He is simply one of the finest mid-limit players I have ever met. He's in the top 3 in my book, mixing it up well, changing gears constantly, and reads you like your cards are face up. (in Vegas I once saw him raise a guy with ace high on the river, get called, and scoop the pot!) Early on, all 3 of us were doing great in the game. Then I went to dinner leaving my chips. When I came back from dinner I was up $1,100 in the game. By the time I left I was down $1,000. And what's funny is all three "solids" of us were in the same boat. We were all up big, and all left the table down a bunch. simply amazing.

Fortunately my bankroll is quite healthy still, in spite of a month and a half long losing streak. But it has given me a healthy dose of reality.

I hope this ends soon.

-Scott