View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Re: California School Requiring Ebonics

[ QUOTE ]
Warning – Possible inflammatory post!!!

This reminds me of a situation at the Luxor on my last trip to Las Vegas. My wife and I are going out and we are walking past the entrance to RA (Luxor’s nightclub). There’s a big sign out front about the dress code – No athletic jerseys, no sweats, no sneakers, no hats backwards no big bling; and there is a big line. My wife and I ask the door guy if we can just stick our heads in for a quick look out of curiosity, we had no plans to stay for more than 30 seconds. He says no; because we are both wearing sneakers. I repeat that we don’t want to stay; we just want to take a quick look. At this point the manager comes out and very politely explains that they have a very strict dress code, and that if we didn’t come right out we’d be hard to locate and people try this all the time and on and on and on.
I said “OK no big deal, but if the dress code is so strict what about those people pointing to about 10 “urban African types” wearing lots of bling, basketball jerseys over their sweat pants and unlaced sneakers (plus a few hats backwards)?”

His response (and I’m not making this up): “Oh that’s different – they’re making a cultural statement”

[/ QUOTE ]

omg, what an F'n' joke!