View Single Post
Old 08-03-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: What would you do different?

Throwing in my $.02 here. I've built or had built over 1000 PCs for my company in the last 5 years.

You say you "Won't be doing any real gaming", so why are you going over kill on the CPU and chip? Why ASUS and AMD?

Nothing again ASUS or DFI, or any of the other good manufactures out there, but it'd be nearly impossible to get me to use any board but a true blue intel board and CPU combo.

For none gaming applications, the rock solid Intel boards just don't fail. I have over 500 running daily in my company and I've yet to have a single board or cpu failure over the last 3 years. I can't say that when I used to use DFI and ASUS, now and then I’d get a board and chip that just refused to play well together.

I don't get funky software quirks with the Intel stuff either, it just always works. I can't tell you the number of hours I spent tracking down dumb issues when I used none intel boards and CPUs. The amount of time and money Intel spends to make sure it's boards don't have issues is second to none.

You can get a 3.0gig 800FSB with a true intel made mother board for under $300. 5 times the power you'll need for spread sheets or poker tracker.

I'd rather have a little slower however rock solid PC. Blue screens of death in the middle of a poker hand would suck. I'm sure lots of people have great AMD ASUS systems, I had many also that never game me a problem. But 5 to 10 problem PCs out of 500 vs. 0 out of 500 is a no brainer.

For my home machine I'm using a 3.4 800FSB on a 915 intel board and I love it.

As it's been said before go with a different power supply or try to have the one in your case upgrade to higher quality power supply.

Just my $.02. Lots of people are going to disagree. But you have to ask yourself, do you feel lucky? Are you trips aces going to be busted by quad 10s on the river? Not likely, but it happens.