View Single Post
Old 01-06-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Pocket Pairs / First Post

First post, let me start by thanking the contributors here. As a relatively new student to the game, this forum has a ton of good information. Thanks.

All three of these hands were within the first 2 orbits. No real reads, though I must admit my reading skills probably need as much work as my post-flop skills. I have had a string of drawouts on my pocket pairs recently, I don’t think a single one has held up out of the last 10.

I am trying to become more aggressive playing the .25/.50 games, I just want a quick checkup to make sure I'm not being maniac aggressive here. It's a real challenge to not be results-oriented when reviewing your play as a new student to the game.

Hand #1. Pocket Q's, overpair to board all the way to the end. I just jammed the pot all the way through.

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds.

Flop: (16 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (10 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls.

River: (14 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Final Pot: 17 BB

Hand #2. I have seen BB be aggressive previously with middle pair. I would have folded on the flop to a re-raise. Should I have folded on the flop? Check/fold on the turn?

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (6.70 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (8.70 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 8.70 BB

Hand #3. Hit the brakes after the re-raise on the turn fearing the flush.

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (4.20 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.20 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.20 BB

Like I said up top, I am trying to find the line between being aggressive and being stupid. I used to always fear (and fold to) the monsters I feared under the bed. I am wondering if the pendulum has swung too far to the other side or if it's just a streak of bad luck. Thanks.