View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Xpost of Sklansky Thread From Philosophy Forum

[ QUOTE ]
I can't think of any other group where the laws that held them from owning land or participating in government were so similar, so when i look towards the history of the repeal of these laws (in the Irish case) i see what i expect to happen in the black case, an incredibly slow and painful process of overcoming historical disadvantage.

I'm not argueing that groups aren't different, i'm argueing it would be absoultely absurd to think that because we changed some laws a little while ago that the race's economic situation should now be similar. This is quite like pvn's dislike of the somalia arguement, it completely ignores incredibly relevent historical context.

groups are different, but it's pretty clear that the difference in how "black america" has developed stems from other reasons then that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are making an inappropriate comparison/analysis here. Regardless of the historical context of racism which has held back blacks in america, the appropriate time frame for the arguments I gave in my long main post in this thread is the past 30 years. During that time period follwoing the Civil Rights movement of the 60s, Asian immigrants have come to America in large numbers and prospered via the paradigm I gave above. Also for another comparison, one can even look at the Chinese who were induced to come here and work as little better than slaves on the railroads in the west and then see how their descendents faired.

But the key point of my cutural analysis is about RIGHT NOW. Those defects of culture that I mentioned you have not attempted to rebut, because they can't be rebutted. They do exist and they do hold back the black coummunity. So the crux of the matter is what is the black community willing to do in order to change those aspects of its culuture, including especially as I recommended purging itself of the gang rap teen-sex culture, and adopting an emphasis on education and pooling their economic resources to build themselves up.