View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Thanks+Standard Play?

I like a checkraise allin here better. Very hard for UTG not to bet in this situation if checked to. Under the gun limp could be a big hand (maybe even the deadly AA w/ diamond) but it could just be a middle pair/no diamond or random junk. It would help to know UTG's stacks size and the other stacks at the table because that affects his limping range. Just "he covers" doesn't tell as much.

I think this is another situation where you have to get your chips in and you are going broke against certain hands so you might as well check to

- increase the amount of money you get when you win it on the flop

- increase your odds versus the range of hands that get it allin with you on the flop.

The argument against is that you don't really want to get it allin vs 88/77/etc. w/ diamond, which may call your checkraise allin but not an outright push. But I think the other factors outweigh that.'

Edit: this should be obvious, but pushing 20K into a 6K pot on the flop is just generally a bad idea. This is close to a reasonable time to do it, but the bet size vs pot size is a lot more reasonable when you check-raise. You'll still get a lot of folds and you may even trap SB in the middle. You can also find out more about SB's hand before you act. If he checkraises you can probably find a fold yourself.