View Single Post
Old 08-26-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Re: consistency and ethical positions

[ QUOTE ]
PTB --
I'm saying each person comes to his best judgement on how to balance all the competing principles involved. I prefer to call it his "judgement" rather than his "right answer".
<font color="white"> ,
, </font>
Darryl_P

I think we are talking about two different things because a person can make different judgements on the same exact issue in different frames of mind, after differing amounts of thought, or at different points in time. I'm saying that such a person necessarily violated his own values at least once because, of his differing judgements, only one is "his right answer".

[/ QUOTE ]

So you see why I prefer the term "judgement" to "right answer". Of course a person's judgement can change. Whatever process that takes place within him to produce his judgement can be perturbed by new experiences, newly learned principles, and by his organic condition. As is often the case with complex systems, sometimes even a slight perturbation can cause a major shift, like the butterfly effect. To claim that there is a Fixed "right" judgement is just an artificial concept which you are imposing on an organic reality that cares nothing about your theories.

[ QUOTE ]
Darryl_P --

Are you saying there is no need to reconcile anything here? Or are you saying it's not for us to judge that? If it's the latter, then do you think I'm doing something wrong if I use coercion to try to convince someone that there is indeed something to reconcile?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. When I used the word "force" above, I was not talking about coercion. I meant it in the sense of being able to force recognition of the answer 4 by showing the argument is 2+2. If you're talking about physical coercion I would point to the old saying, "a person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still". If your talking about something else, it might be worth a new thread.

[ QUOTE ]
PTB --
The process by which the person arrives at his judgement is really beyond our understanding because it involves not only an intractable complex of competing principles but the unique life experiences of the individual person.
<font color="white">.
</font>

Darryl_P --

OK I can accept that it's beyond our understanding (without significantly more information), but do you think it's beyond HIS understanding?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Entire process probably is beyond his understanding. A lot of it is going on subconciously. Although who knows. Maybe a completely enlightened Buddah would be aware of his inner workings well enough to know.

But that's not to say you can't pry open Some of the process and apply analytical techniques which may sway his judgement. Like I said before though, you might be more successful by having him watch a good movie instead.

PairTheBoard