View Single Post
Old 06-10-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Independant Spirits

[ QUOTE ]
Dan,

I agree with your general points about "game selection," but must take exception to one point you made.

You used the word "team" in your reply, but poker players are TERRIBLE team members. Our game is extremely competitive, all against all. In fact, if you play as a team, it's called "collusion" and "cheating."

If a hiring manager is looking for highly individualistic, ruthlessly competitive people, poker players are worthwhile. If he wants a team player, don't even consider poker players.

Thanks for raising an important subject.

Regards,

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the good doctor here.

Poker players are very independant spirits. To make your living at a game like poker (ie- professional gambler) is really in some aspects rejecting the 'normality' that is society and life as the majority knows it.

It could be that this player has found that they can't 'grind' it out anymore and want a stable job, but more than likely they haven't given up poker completely and I'd bet it's only so long before that world interferes with the normal one (ie- 9 to 5) and their workrate suffers or they eventually give up the job.

With no intention to pun, hiring a professional poker player is a "gamble". [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]