View Single Post
Old 02-25-2002, 05:27 PM

Default Re: bad fills, dead time an illusion

eLROY-

Thanks a lot for the help. I'm under no dillusions. My past failure to profit from the futures market off the floor were undoubtedly due to my lack of expertise than they were to poor fills. It's just that I honestly don't know of anyone who has or is making a living from off the floor day trading the futures markets.

When day trading (as opposed to position trading), fills are an extremely importatnt factor. I had a friend who had a seat and used to trade SP 500 futures from the floor. He used to tell me and at times you could actually witness these floor traders take the market down at the opening bell, fill out all the stops and take it back up again. There was much profit to be made if you were "in" on this and had a seat on the floor. There are also other ways to profit as a broker when you have orders in your hand or know the orders the guy next to you has in his hand.

But I've also heard that these advantages are becoming less and less with new technology and as more and more people trade off the floor.

Again, I'm not saying that experience and know-how are not the most important factors in successful trading. My question was is it possible to successfully profit from off the floor "DAY" trading as opposed to position trading. Thanks alot eLROY for the helpful response.