View Single Post
Old 08-24-2004, 01:37 PM

Default 20-40 AA, choosing to let villain take the lead

20-40, 9 handed.

I'm UTG+1 in my second orbit with AA and open-raise. Folded to LP who 3-bets, folded back to me. Normally I'd have capped this, and certainly would against multiple opponents, but in this case decided to let LP take the lead. LP seems to be a thinking player though again, I'm pretty new at the table; he did ask to see my hand after I lost with KJ in the BB on a Jxxxx board, so he had some idea how I play.

Granted that a war plan never survives the first skirmish, my thought process was this for most of his likely holdings and non-ridiculous boards:

- if I cap, the line could very well go bet-call, bet-call, bet-call/fold, winning another 2-3BB; he could also very well fold the turn if he whiffs something like AJ, reducing the win to 1BB

-if I don't cap, the likely line becomes check-bet-call, check-bet-raise-call, bet-call/fold, winning 2.5-3.5BB, reduced to .5BB if he whiffs the turn (check-bet-call, check-check, bet-fold) or 1.5BB if he folds to the turn check-raise.

So, the upside is higher if I don't cap PF and let him take the lead. The downside also seems better, as I can more easily take lower cost routes from the turn on if need be.

Good plan? Or is this over-thought and I should just ram and jam PF on?