View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Party down 30% on weak earnings projections...hmmmmmm???

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are too much sometimes. I mean sorry, but obviously when the user base at these sights is so high, you cannot expect the same % of growth. Remember, a 10% increase in player population now is equivalent to maybe a 30% increase a year and a half ago. I just think it's funny, the game is still expanding, more people are playing, and you are all worried. Yes the games will get tougher little by little over the next decade, but there will always be bad players. Lets start a thread like this when the actual numbers of players begins to drop.

gabe

[/ QUOTE ]

Its actually a good analogy, except I think the numbers are steeper. A ten percent increase in players now would probably be like 100 percent a year ago. What may end up happening might follow what happenned to the dot com boom. The online poker industry grew enormously at ridiculous speeds. Its probably very bloated right now, a lot of the sites will start to dry up, and merge with each other (we're seeing a lot of that right now). Online poker is almost certainly here for the long run, and there will also probably still be good, profitable games, but they just won't be nearly as good as they were at the height of the boom.

Edit: I guess I"m not the only one making this analogy:
``Clearly the ebullience that was in the stock has been pretty much taken away today,'' said Richard Hunter, head of U.K. equities at Hargreaves Landsdown, a London-based stockbroker. ``There are similarities to what happened with technology stocks five years ago.''