View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 08:14 AM

Default Re: A way to end the Barron hubbub - A request to El Diablo

I just read the article and this was the first thread I saw about it. I dont want to be redundant, but I am glad to see that people aren't just eating that garbage up.

I see so many similar hands get praised. I dont want to make any specific examples, especially because some of my favorite players are sometimes guilty (which ill justify at the end).

There are these crazy parlay's that people make often "scarecard draws" others are "longball bluffs" and so on. When they work people say "see, look how clever I am" especially when the EXACT odds on certain events are impossible to ever figure out such as chances of a player folding, etc.

When you see pros make "crazy parlays" like barron's, it is only possible because hands aren't independent of eachother, especially in tournaments. As terrible as Barron's hand looks for anyone who values money, plays like it often gain marginal value from other hands. Just like "advertising" it is a budget that cannot be made to tight.

Last week I was eliminated from a tournament by a rivered gutshot. I thought he was on the flushdraw so he called .7pot bets on the flop and turn(allin). This crazy parlay is ok, because I know he also thinks people who hit lottery jackpots also made good decisions and he doesn't write poker articles.