View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 03:19 AM

Default Re: How do you deal with this BS?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

why? I dont see why this wouldnt work.

[/ QUOTE ]

doing it without a router will cause an ip address problem. between every network segment (for example your pc and your isp's router/switch) there is a network portion and a host portion for an IP scheme. your isp will assign your pc an ip address (statically or dynamically). IP addresses are globally unique. when you try to unplug your cord from the down isp and connect to the other isp, your pc will have an ip address that is part of the network of the other isp. you won't be able to communicate with the second isp. it will take time for your pc to remove the current IP address configured then get a new one from the second isp. this is too much time wasted when you're in a tourney. just get a router, it will cut out the middle man for you. your pc will always have the same Ip address and network address to communicate with your router. the router will then handle communication with each isp.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long would it take my computer to adjust to the IP address change? I seriously have no idea how to buy and set up this kind of thing, is there like a number I can call where I can pay somebody to come to my house and do it for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes about 5 seconds.

just type "ipconfig /renew" into start-->run

Or even easier:

Get another network card, plug in your new internet into it.
Windows XP automatically can handle+balance 2 different net connections

[/ QUOTE ]

So All I need to do is buy DSL and then when cable goes out switch the 2 cords and then just type "ipconfig /renew" into start-->run then I can start playing poker emmediatly after that?