View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 01:45 AM

Default Re: PLO postflop newb questions.

[ QUOTE ]
8 way straight draws

Ciaffone says not to get too involved with just an 8 way straight draw. So when do you play these hands? Do you call with just an 8 way straight draw on a rainbow flop getting 2 to 1? 3 to 1? If there are two suited cards out, what conditions merit a call?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think he means don't call pot sized bets with them. An 8 way straight draw has a 1/5 chance of being the nuts after the turn, but it's uber-vulnerable since only 2 of those cards keep it rainbow (assuming you don't have backdoor flush draws). The key is, don't think nearly as much of them as you would in HE unless you have something else to go with it.

Also, Ciaffone's book (like most poker books) is probably meant for higher stakes games where people don't make 1/3 pot bets (or smaller) on the flop. He's probably not even considering the possablity that someone will make that kind of bet.
[ QUOTE ]
Top Set
... but what about the turn when the straight seems to get there ... can I call getting 3 to 1 if I'm pretty positive at least one player has the straight? I'm still unclear of the verdict set in that recent post where a player had JJJ against a straight on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe the verdict is that a call is generally justified if you have slightly less than 3 to 1 odds against most players - but not known nut peddlers.
[ QUOTE ]
What about hitting top set on a three flush flop, call a pot sized bet on the flop, what sized bets can I profitably call on the turn assuming little implied odds?

[/ QUOTE ]
The board will eventually pair about 38% of the time when you have a set. Slightly more than half the time the pair will not come until the river (approx 18% turn/both and 20% river only).

Calling is dangerous unless you are on a passive table that tends to call these bets on the flop (and not raise). This is common at lower limits.