View Single Post
Old 07-28-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Moderation thread

[ QUOTE ]
This seems rather subjective; if I claim Koran isn't the word of God, and I've personally insulted a Muslim, is that grounds for a reprimand from the moderator? What if I make a similar claim about the New Testament; can a Christian report me to a moderator?

[/ QUOTE ]

Asserting that a religious text isn't the word of God is far different than personally insulting a member of that religion.

Some people, especially politically-correct types, might try to make you think the two actions are equivalent, but they aren't. Genuine debate on any topic cannot be rationally construed as an "insult".

[ QUOTE ]
Secondly, and somewhat related, I’m all for giving authorities their due esteem. But claiming the offended party is a “world class authority, who knows more about the topic under discussion than the insulter could ever hope to understand in his lifetime” also reeks of the subjectivism I referred to earlier.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not necessarily a subjective assessment (especially if the discipline in question is a hard science such as physics or mathematics).