View Single Post
Old 08-29-2005, 12:51 AM

Default Can this be put in layman\'s terms?

I'm not sure about philosophy, but this definitely has to do with science and math. I know there are several smart people here who might be able to answer this.

I have never been able to grasp the concept of why time slows down as velocity increases. I read Einstein came up with the theory as he watched a passing train and determined that time was moving slower for the people on board than the people standing beside the train. But I can't get it to make sense to me... Is this math? I'm terrible at math, but can understand most abstract things.

If someone on that train were to bounce a ball at the exact same time someone standing alongide the train, wouldn't they both catch the ball at the same time? Granted the person on the train would've covered a greater distance, but the time elaplsed from both balls bouncing should be the same.

Now I try to extend this to the speed of light. Someone on a space ship traveling just under the speed of light bounces a ball at the same time you do. Granted, he'd be well past the moon before he caught the ball, but if someone had a stopwatch, would you both catch the ball at the same time?

This is killing me. Is there a physics for dummies book that might explain this for me? Thanks.