Thread: 1/2 nl in vegas
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2005, 02:05 AM

Default Re: 1/2 nl in vegas

I just went to Vegas last week for my first time ever, and from my limited experience playing nl live (was my first time) I can say that it was donkastic. It was 1-2 nl at the Flamingo, $40-$200 buy-in.

Let me give you one example that does a good job of explaining the play at the flamingo 1-2nl.

Folded to the sb who completes and the bb checks. Flop comes K K 8. SB quickly bets $50 into a $4 pot, bb folds and sb shows his rockets. He then tips the dealer $5, and proudly rakes in his mounstrous -$1 pot.

That was the usual for the night.

Get used to players betting weird amounts in relation to the pot. In the game I was playing, it wasn't unusual for someone to bet 2-4x the pot or more. One player would push all in for $800+ on a complete bluff (he'd show afterwards) for $10 pots. He did this a lot, and rarely had a hand. Too bad he lost all $800 by the time he left in the morning, although none of it was to me. I was playing weak tight against the maniac opponents at the table just waiting for a hand to double up on, never got on playing for 6 hours that night.

It was fun though, and I broke even playing for my two 6 hour sessions on the 1-2 nl counting dealer and drink tips. I would've been down a bit at the nl table except for the fact that after about 30 long islands and 24 hours without sleep, my live straddles seemed to be very +ev.