View Single Post
Old 11-19-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: How to get the most out of Poker books

Poker books can help. But like anything it will take time. The main problem is that if you are new to poker, there are so many concepts to digest. I think people read a book for the first time, then expect to be able to apply all the concepts they have read and become an instant winner. However, you won't become a doctor with one read of a manual, it takes several years. Therefore, my advice is this:

to start off with, select one variation of poker to concentrate on i.e. Limit Hold'em, and learn as much about it as you can. Read a book, and digest it in small amounts, then go and play. After your session, re-read the book and see if you misunderstood any of the concepts. Then play some more. Treat it like a reflective cycle. Having focused your attentions on one variation of the game and learned the basics of poker, you should find learning other games easier as a result. But be prepared, there are some concepts harder to apply than others.

For a book that covers all aspects of poker, I highly recommend "The Theory Of Poker" by David Sklansky. Sometimes around the forums you will see it refered to as TOP.

The above book introduces you to a topic and then dedicates a chapter for discussion. If you wanted a look at individual concepts and apply them to your game, this is an excellent book.

Good luck,

PJS