View Single Post
Old 05-12-2003, 03:27 PM

Default Reply to Homer and Bob T.

Thank you both for taking the time to critique my play. I wrote a lengthy response to Homer and it appears that I blew it away rather than posting it. Bummer.

Bottom line is I thought I played it brilliantly at the time and I'm sure glad I posted this because it looks like I butchered yet another hand.

I did put some thought into the pre-flop play. For example, a pre-flop open raise from the cutoff was consistently getting cold calls from the button and at least one of the blinds and usually both of them. The limp was designed to put them on their guard (open limping in late position with a big pair is a play we've all seen), and to give me a chance to let them make a mistake by calling bets later in the hand with insufficient pot odds should I hit my hand (a la HPFAP21 "Playing in Loose Games).

I clearly wasn't thinking about all the important factors that went into playing the turn. Given the scariness of the board I figured that if someone raised the turn I would have been in deep doo doo and that I should get out. Check and call gives the option of seeing the river for one bet with lots of outs.

Of course you were right Homer. The opposition had a weak Jack.

I've been having some good results of late and would like to believe it's skill. I've apparently been lucky as well.

Thanks again guys,

Rockfish