View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Unloading QQ, Why Is It So Hard??

[ QUOTE ]
Two other ways you can play this are:

1) Reraise preflop and if the other player pushes then you can be pretty sure you're up against AA or KK. This does depend on the other player but early in tourneys you won't have much of a read. I haven't seen that many players willing to come back over the top again with hands other than AA or KK.

2) You're second option is to lead at the flop instead of going for the check raise. Most of the time you will fold out AK or AQ. If they come back over the top of you on the flop you can be fairly sure your QQ is beat and if they just call it'll be easier to check/fold the turn since you won't have invested as many chips as a check/raise takes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Re 1)
This thought crossed my mind. Yes, I agree it is very often true in the low entry MTTs that I play ($30 avg +/-), a reraise preflop is probably 4-1 or less against not being AA or KK.

However, this is also low level thinking. There are some super-agro early round players (e.g., P0kerH0) who are operating at a much higher level of play and are likely to fire back with a lot of different hands for that very reason.

Re 2)
Also considered this option. I had my cursor over the fold button at one point during the decision making process. I should have "listened" to one of the Sklansky edicts, which is if you are in doubt then you should probably fold.

This hand was just one case in point to illustrate the larger problem in skill growth, which is knowing how to get away from hands that look good but have a strong possibility of being dominated (e.g., drawing to 2 or 3 outs at most).