View Single Post
Old 04-01-2005, 12:06 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!
Default Re: Back to work? Opinions needed!

[ QUOTE ]
No, if he's 40+, single and looking to move from Sh+tkicker, WA to Florida and kick back then I got one answer. 6 kids, 3 exwives, I got another.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he were in a such a position that he could "kick back" and ride the ups and downs without worrying about how to meet whatever obligations and needs he currently has, I doubt he would have asked, 'Should I take a chance on poker or play it safe and take the job?' More likely, he would have asked questions relating to how to go about making a living at poker. The fact that he asked the question he did means that he has concerns about whether poker will provide a sufficiently steady income for his circumstances. Even very good players sometimes have downswings that last for weeks or months; if you don't have the resources to deal with that, you shouldn't be relying on poker as virtually your sole source of income. Unemployment is a stop-gap, and if you don't actively search for a job, and turn down jobs without very good reasons, they take it away; I've been unemployed for long stretches, and I had to file reports under penalty of perjury explaining what I did to find a job (or get training to help me do so) during the past week or two.

-Mike