View Single Post
Old 12-03-2004, 07:24 AM

Default Re: George Galloway wins libel case against Telegraph over Saddam claims

Could it have been the Rockingham group within British intelligence? I'd not heard of them until today; Juan Cole's blog refers to them (thanks to ACPlayer for pointing me towards the blog, which is very good on what goes unreported in the Western press). Some articles from last year on the group for those that are interested:
Michael Meacher/Guardian
Sunday Herald

Obviously shadowy groups with sexy names operating within intelligence sounds like conspiracy theory at its best. On the other hand there is no doubt the group existed - just what it's purpose was (the official line, given in teh Butler report, was that it existed simply to pass intelligence on to UN weapons inspectors; given that we know there were spies in the inspector teams and this was the main British intelligence conduit to them, I don't think its innocence holds up) - and someone forged those Galloway documents, so at some level there is a conspiracy. Meacher's point that Ritter's credibility should have shot through the roof after the ISG came to the conclusion he had pushed all along - that Saddam's WMD capability was largely destroyed in 1991, with the weapons inspectors getting rid of the rest - is a good one.