View Single Post
Old 12-27-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: 2/5 Live NL I love playing big pots with 1 pair

I don't have a huge problem with the call...but you can probably only get away with it once at the table...after which point smart opponents are going to be making big overbets with their good hands.

From his perspective...it doesn't look like you have much. He made a probe type bet, and then you raised...followed by a check behind on the turn. After the check behind, he probably doesn't put you on an overpair anymore.

I think there is little chance he puts you on exactly QQ, which is the only sensible hand for him to think you have (assuming he's looking for huge value from his big hand), given his huge bet on the river.

I generally try to stay away from calling river overbets in NL, as it often means a smart player with a huge hand...but in the case above, it's not too much more than a pot bet.

I don't see what he could legitimately put you on that he thinks you are calling his better hand with...so I make the tough call here too.

You only need to win 40% of the time to break even.

How long did he think before betting the river? Did he possibly have AT or JJ and hope to push you off just in case the Q hit you?

Like I said, make the call, but lean towards folding when a similar situation comes up later on in the night.