View Single Post
Old 10-26-2001, 02:38 AM

Default Re: Same Recommendation When You Posted Last Time

The VIX over 40 is fairly unusual event. At 57 it was very unusual. The only reason I used the VIX as a buy signal was that I'm fairly certain the markets are close to their bottoms and from market history spikes in the VIX have marked a good buy point after major declines. Of course I've got a lot of company in making that observation. Sometime overlay a 15 year chart of the S&P 500 onto a chart of the VIX it's very interesting at least to me. I base the sell signal on where the VIX has bottomed out over the past 5 years or so and I'm being conservative. It's just something I watch. The main thing is that all indicators both financial and economic point to a turn around in the economy sometime in the first half of next year and I believe the stock market is starting to anticipate it.

QQQ's are much more volatile than SPY's as I'm sure you are aware of. With earnings so uncertain now it's hard for me to zero in on individual stocks so I'm just trying to be on the right side of the markets.