View Single Post
Old 11-03-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Did anyone hear Jeb Bush\'s comments about God?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It is like me hitting you in the face with a crowbar and then you thanking me for handing you a tissue to wipe up the blood.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's more like you acknowledging your parent is correct for disciplining you and then thanking him for providing all your needs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good disciplining should involve a reaction to a particular action that the parent (in this analogy) wants to correct. In essence, "the punishment should fit the crime."

What did the people in Florida do that deserved this beating? I don't believe that each person who had his property damaged was guilty of something that deserved it, and that everyone else in the world who DIDN'T have their home destroyed is NOT guilty of it.

This is an excellent example of Christian stupidity. There is no Biblical support to suggest that God was doing this to punish the wicked, wicked people of south Florida, and that his magic, happy rainbow weather was a covenant of good faith. To quote a bumper sticker, "S.hit Happens."

[/ QUOTE ]

Despite the fact that I'm probably closer to falling on your side of this 'debate,' I feel the need to at least mention that under the assumption that the Christian God does exist in the way most Christians seem to believe, the chances of him acting "Logical" by our standards is probably pretty slim. (This post comes with the caveat that my reply is not directly to the quoted post, since I agree with the general message the quoted post is conveying, about people jumping to conclusions and arbitrarily designing explanations for events they witness... this isn't a uniquely Christian phenomenon.) To display my small mindedness, an analogy is in store: it'd be like a group of Ducks trying to understand our behavior.

"Quack quack! quack quack quack, quack quack quack!" they say!
"Quack I can't quack believe quack that he quack waddled directly past a chunk of bread without quack eating it!"
"Quack I think I'm going to continue to quack walk around instead of quack flying"

I think I've lost my point here, but to wrap it up with a response to the original poster: The only Christians I've heard that seem to have a brain capable of rational thought, all admit to healthy doses of Christian stupidity, hyopcrisy, etc. And for any of us that don't follow the faith, the stupidity displayed by a good chunk of (before I have a handful of people diving down my throat, I did not say 'all,' nor am I implying that following the faith necessarily leads to stupidity) Christians is apparent anyway. Is one example of stupidity, on the part of a Christian, in regards to anything, really noteworthy anymore? It's been like 2000 years now. But then again, I've only been playing poker for 2 years, and I already find it funny when people tell stories about LAGs, downswings, beats, etc. as if the people they're talking to should be SHOCKED AND AWED... and yet I'm guilty of telling the same stories too. Quack.