View Single Post
Old 08-01-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Wait for the turn for more equity or not?

Crunchy,

As I look back, I think you're right. I didn't read the action closely enough, and thought that there weren't any players between hero and the flop bettor.

Given that there are players in between hero and the flop bettor, I think a check-raise is definitely in order here to force out weak overcards. Leading the turn will then be obvious.

My analysis still stands if there are not those two players between hero and the bettor. If the bet comes from the immediate left of hero I think check-calling the flop and leading the turn may well be better from a pot-manipulation point of view, in that certain overcard hands will not be getting the odds to continue drawing on the turn if the pot is smaller, and you will have a clearer idea of your equity on the turn.

FWIW, I think that leading the flop here is not particularly good, because it means that any hope you have of protecting your hand on the flop would probably have to come from a three-bet. I think this involves too large an investment given the strength of the hand. A flop check-raise does seem right in retrospect, though.