View Single Post
Old 10-31-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Re: yes another TAX question....

[ QUOTE ]
1) I dont know exactly what I owe and neither does the IRS, but I want to pay my taxes

[/ QUOTE ]

True. But lacking information confirming your story, the IRS' view will be the only one that matters.

[ QUOTE ]
2) The IRS most likely would never know about my winnings if I didnt report them, so Im quite sure there wont be a problem with NOT reporting winnings that arent withdrawn yet even though legally they should be reported.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the IRS *most likely* would not know that mobsters had income from illegal sources. But when they fail to pay taxes on this income, they can still end in jail. Personally, I don't want to rely on "most likely" with the IRS.

[ QUOTE ]
3) When it comes to breaking down wins and losses, there is no clear cut clarifiaction on what a session is when youre online. You could report daily results and call them a session, but why not do it weekly, or monthly?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the IRS has made it clear through past rulings that a session is shorter than a month. How much shorter -- week, day, etc. -- is not cleanly defined.

[ QUOTE ]
Remember that the IRS doesnt even know youre playing and winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

See John Gotti...

[ QUOTE ]
My personal opinion is that at least 90% of people dont report at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think this is a valid reason FOR YOU to not report?

[ QUOTE ]
I have no 1099s. As far as I know, my responsibility is to pay my taxes as truthfully as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which means paying taxes when you win the money, NOT when you withdraw the money...

[ QUOTE ]
There is no law saying that I have to keep a spreadsheet of every session I play or my results for every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

The burden of record-keeping is on the individual, NOT the IRS.

[ QUOTE ]
I dont have to use PT by law.

[/ QUOTE ]

True.

[ QUOTE ]
If I didnt keep any records, the only thing I would know (and the only thing the IRS could prove) would be the deposits going into my bank account from Neteller.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ignorance is no defense. This is something the courts have maintained time and again.

[ QUOTE ]
So lets assume that I have no records. Lets assume that I have deposits into my account totaling $80K for the year. Couldnt I just report the $80K as winnings?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not legally.

[ QUOTE ]
I know that Im suppossed to seperate wins and losses,

[/ QUOTE ]

No. You are REQUIRED to separate wins and losses. There is a substantial difference.

[ QUOTE ]
but since I have no records (and there is no law requiring me to keep records),

[/ QUOTE ]

See above. You are wrong on this one.

[ QUOTE ]
what can the IRS do about my reporting my winnings with no losses reported?

[/ QUOTE ]

They can hit you with fines for under-reporting your income.

[ QUOTE ]
Would they really care?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, maybe not. Do you want to test them? Are the potential consequences worth the minimal effort required to do things the right way?

[ QUOTE ]
There is no place to report HOW you won the money. It could be $80K in lottery winnings, so would they even question it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again...maybe, maybe not. But is it worth the chance that they will?

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said , Im trying to do whats right and pay my taxes, but they make it pretty tough to do correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, you are not trying very hard. You are trying harder to make your life easier and to avoid potential tax issues (deduction phase-outs, etc.) than you are to pay your taxes properly.

Acme