View Single Post
Old 02-18-2005, 09:02 PM

Default Re: tough logic problem

Update: Ok, so every even number can be stated as the sum of two primes. Odd numbers can only be stated as the sum of two primes if they are equal to (2+j), where j is another prime number.

The one factor I have not taken into consideration is the fact that X's knowing what the numbers were allowed Y to know what the numbers were. Hmmm... Ok, I think I have at least the logic down. Since X figured out precisely what the two numbers were, knowing that both of them were not prime, Y could then figure out what the two numbers were if and ONLY IF there was not more than one way for the potential m and n combos to add up to a value that could not be a sum of primes. For example, say m*n=30. m could equal 5, n could equal 6 ---> m+n=11. Or, m could equal 2, n could equal 15 ---> m+n=17. Given this circumstance, there's no way X could figure out m & n are. So given that, there must be m*n such that m+n=k, where k is not equal to the sum of two primes, and k is unique (i.e. there is only one combination of m and n that will produce k).