View Single Post
Old 10-11-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Crazy Pineapple 8b discards

[ QUOTE ]
I tried playing a bit of micro limit Pineapple hi/low on UB and I'm really confused on how to discard in this game. Let's say you raise PF with AQ2 rainbow (is this even a good play?) flop comes Q46 two of one suit. Let's say you bet and get called in 3 places. Do you dump the 2 and go for high? Dump the Q and go for low? what if your Q2 is suited and you flop a 4 flush with the same board?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would keep QA; TPTK is still enough to win many hands (although two pair and sets are a little more frequent, of course.) But the big advantage of keeping QA is that you can back into a low as well and get 3/4, or all, of the pot (or escape for the low half vs. a raggedy two pair.) You need to be prepared to dump it if the turn action heats up, though.

Keeping A2 isn't as appealing because you are really only playing for half the pot, and the low might not come in, or a two or ace might counterfeit your low. One of your opponents could have a holding like 35; if an ace or a two lands on the turn you are potentially in bad shape.

If you have a four-flush with Q2, by all means keep it. Top pair + flush draw is a monster, and again you may back into a low. Particularly if an A comes to counterfeit others' holdings--- the ace of your suit would be best, try to draw that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If the flop is raised, you may want to consider going low instead as this often indicates two pair or better. OTOH, it could be another A2 with a flush draw, and you are on your way to being quartered; try to keep all three players in the pot. Or it could be a donk with a worse kicker.

In general you want to be on your strongest draw in a multi-way pot--- A hand with potential to scoop, or a virtual lock on half the pot. TPTK isn't great but it has some scoop potential if there is not a low yet. Nut low draws are OK if they have some high backup or the pot is large or multiway. Made lows with high potential are best.

The games, in my limited experience, seem to be loose/passive, so you could either be up against a two pair or a Q with worse kicker who will call you all the way. Reading the opponents is often a waste of time, I can't count how many times I thought I was splitting the pot and nobody turned out to have a low after all.

Read this if you have not already, it talks some more about the risks of TP hands:
http://www.everythingsbusted.com/p0c...Pineapple.html