View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Poker IQ Test Draught (Long)

[ QUOTE ]
The situation with Johnny Chan is caricatural. Ok you made your point about folding KK, but why does he overbet the pot? Unless there is three players putting 1000, but you only said there was lots of action and it is 1000 to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said, I hadn’t really thought it fully through. Can you think of a way of improving it?

[ QUOTE ]
You can also ask the size of a pot size bet when you are acting after a bettor and lots of people forget to separate the call from the raise. So they mini raise thinking they are raising the size of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

My test is supposed to be a test of MTT NL internet poker. I think this is more a problem of PL live poker; however as a generally based question I think this could be worked in, cheers.

[ QUOTE ]
For the last question a call is +EV because you are 64% favorite against random cards (pokerstove). But if it is that early in the tournment and I have only the big blind in the pot, I'm not sure. If he turns two overcards and you loose that hand, you'll feel terrible. The situation is not very realistic. Of course if you are against the best players in the world, that's the best spot you'll have but why would they do that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I’ve seen many crazy people go all-in blind on the first hand in live tournaments, some just for kicks, and others as a statement. I can only assume it’s just as possible to happen in the WSOP ME, especially with 6000 runners. Besides, the realism of this situation isn’t the point, its hypothetical, (I guess the same could be said of the Johnny Chan question), the point being you should never turn down being a 2:1 favourite (there was some massive discussion about never turning down a chance to go all-in as any favourite, even as little as 1%…… unless of course your name is Phil Helmuth). With it being 2:1, its irrelevant that you would feel terrible if you lost to over cards, that’s what this question is really about, a good player would never be scared of going out in the first hand of the tournament, nor should they regret their decision if they lost, they should not be results orientated.

[ QUOTE ]
You could keep this part and a add a second part about reads and decisions. Just a suggestion though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I will have to do this; anyone got Dan Harrington’s email? Might have to ask permission if I can use some of his examples in the book as part of this test.

Thank you very much for all your thoughts, it is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Jon