View Single Post
Old 11-03-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Re: To all Piano/Classical music enthusiasts

[ QUOTE ]
thanks. if i were to try to get a start on my own, what is your opinion on using keyboards? a lot of people i know say that they arent nearly the same..

[/ QUOTE ]

I just started about a year ago. For financial and spacial purposes, I bought a keyboard. But if you buy a keyboard, make sure to get one with weighted keys. Otherwise, the transition to a real piano will be more difficult.

For the first 6 months I was teaching myself (as a background - I've played other instruments for nearly 20 years so I didn't need to teach myself theory, etc.). I was doing pretty well, but my wife got me lessons as a gift.

I highly recommend them - not only does it keep you committed, I find that the teacher points out things that I would have taken a long time to figure out on my own. Additionally, when teaching yourself you can develop bad habits that will take longer to right.

They also give new/different musical ideas that speed development, which is very valuable (although this may depend on the style - I am learning blues/jazz).