View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 10:25 AM

Default Knowing when to fold \'em

I wanted to start a thread to get advice on knowing when you should fold your very good hands (especially pre-flop.)

The two hands I hate to see pf are AK and (especially) QQ when there is interest in the hand by other players. I personally lose often w/ these 2 hands.

In one of Sklansk's books (Tourn Pkr Adv Plyrs I think) he says something like he has often seen people bet and get raised (called???) by 2+ people, and inevitably one person had AA, every time.

Getting away from a GREAT hand is difficult, but an important and necessary skill if you want to be a good player.

Occassionally some donk raises w/ his Ax and thinks its the nuts, but I think more often you're raised by a dominating hand. I also think that AK is not as strong as everyone here seems to advcate "...limp w/ JJ... push w/ AK..." afterall JJ (or any pocket pair) is a slight favorite to AK... as we all know.

An epiphany I had this weekend, which is probably a no-brainer to many of you, is that I need to be prepared to throw away QQ if an A or K flops. I said to myself "... what are the chances he had the ace..." and I pushed... he had the ace. Then I realized maybe I should have put a reasonable bet in and folded if raised, and check/fold if called, afterall MOST PEOPLE PLAY ACES AND KINGS, so it is very likely that your beaten.

So do you think AK, QQ- is dominated often enough to fold pf if more than one other person is aggressively betting/calling (assuming early on w/ many people still at the table)?

Lets here what you all have to say...
(please explain your thought process as to why you advocate a certain action so that this can be constructive for everyone)