View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 01:46 AM

Default Re: de asini umbra disceptare

Ah, OK, I thought that it had to do with capuchins and secular priests and was getting very confused here... lol

To put your mind at rest, Buddhism doesn't address the concept of god. bI am not sure what that particlar photo is, but I stronly suspect that it belongs to a Zen sect of Buddhism which came to Japan via the Chines Chan school. I am basing that on the garb and accoutrements. In that context, it probably an invetiture recognising the learning in an academic sense. Very much in the same way that degrees are conferred to graduates at secular universities in the west. Just the bizareness of accoutrements is different.

Peter, just be careful, as the self-appointed, unbiased referee, I must point out that you are loosing points by trying to take advantage of falsehoods to support you position. This is not the only one I have noticed slipping by, and you don't have the luxury of such a large advantage over your opponents that you can afford those types of slips. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I guess even within catholic universities you could gain a degree or doctorate in theology without having to be a believer. In the case of Buddhism, I can only state that there is not even requirement at all for a believe in god in the practice or the study of the religion. The god concept is not at all relevant to Buddhist doctrine. So, there seem to be no breach of commandment by capuchins or others that may wish to study anything. Unless, like there use to be an index, wich doesn't exist any longer afaik, a catholic is not even allowed to enquire into philosophies except in a catholic approved context.