View Single Post
Old 08-28-2005, 07:30 AM

Default Re: My First Year of Limit Poker (long)

Thanks for the comments everyone -- guys like Harv, meep, QTip, and detruncate, it's been cool to kind of "come up" at the same time.

[ QUOTE ]
Did you have any hard times, and what did you do to get through them?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to be pretty risk-averse when it comes to my bankroll. Like I've said, the biggest hits have been withdrawals. I'm usually well rolled for the limit I'm at, or I'm taking a shot and ready to move down right away.

The downswings start to roll off your back after awhile, especially when you're a proven winner at the limit. That's one of the few nice things about the grind. I've never gotten worried about downswings at 2/4 and 3/6 or even back at .5/1 and 1/2, because while I know I have so much room for improvement, I had played so many hands at those limits that I knew I was at least a 1 - 1.5 BB winner at them (this is probably not true in the 3/6 full any more -- I haven't played it in months). Stay well rolled (at least 300 BB) and keep reminding yourself that variance is a dirty whore. If you have a big downswing, don't be afraid to move down, if only to rebuild your confidence.

Other tough times are, really, like the one I'm in right now regarding 6m and specifically 5/10. Moving up to a new limit and getting crushed, or breaking even for a long stretch, can be demoralizing more than a downswing at a limit you know you're a winner at. Right now I'm breakeven at 5/10 after something like 25k hands, which is certainly possible variance. But I kind of doubt I'm more than a 1 BB winner in the game anyway as I'm still learning how to play a lot of marginal decisions postflop against higher aggression.

Pretty much anything that happens that makes you reconsider whether you're much more than a marginal winner at best is difficult, but probably good, since it forces you to start seeking out what mistakes you're making.

Last unrelated note: VEGAS NOVEMBER 4th! VEGAS BABY, VEGAS!