View Single Post
Old 04-16-2002, 11:22 PM

Default Re: THE GOVERNMENT - that\'s the ticket:)

New York Times is fun to read, you see just how far people can go. I get it everyday in my email and just love reading the latest angle to bash a Republican. Its like they forgot Democrats exist. Oh wait, to the Times Democrats are infallible! It then happens when you realize the editorial writer is some guy probably living in a million dollar apartment in Manhattan and talking about how we should suffer as a country to make life better for some "focus" group, you fill in the blank for the group. Oh yeah and its completely amazing that before September 11 a day didn't go by when someone on the staff didn't bash Bush for something he or his people had done. EVERY SINGLE DAY. It was getting funny. Amazing how they realize that ain't so popular now and they tend to avoid any criticism unless its about tax cuts. I wrote to the NYT last year and said I have an idea. Since your editorial writers love taxes so much and your readers are mostly living in New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and DC/Virginia and are so loyal as to make you the most influential paper in the World...why not just pass a tax increase on those states and lower the taxes for everyone else! Ingenious idea, I made it so sarcastic and put so much thought into it I though I would have a shot at publication. Alas, no luck on that, but it was a brilliant idea whose time has come! If they agree to do that I say we give them the honor and make the Times free for them to show our solidarity. There will be a big lovefest in Central Park after they get free of the burden on their minds that they aren't paying enough in taxes...

Speaking of governments changing things arbitrarily, just the threat of it can move markets. Witness Venezuela. I have been making huge winning bets against its currency and played its bonds and stocks in the past. I have a great grip on the country and then this weekend happens to remind you that no one can figure out unstable regimes! I luckily had no money in the markets, but I can only imagine the euphoria then the downfall I would have had with money in the country. Just the threat of Chavez reverting to idiotic government removed almost all the gains created by thought that anyone else could do better even though it appears that country is 100% devoid of anyone willing to serve public office with common sense and some political skill. When investing internationally, be sure to understand the government climate and be two steps ahead of that in seeing what would happen under different changing scenarios.

Mexico is a great place to invest right now. No make that a SPECTACULAR place to invest. Nowhere in the world comes close for the American investor who already has money invested at home. They have a ridiculously independent central bank and a stock market that will boom and keep booming for a long time. No one ever trusted stocks or investment before because inflation and currency concerns. Now those two have all but been erased. Central bank targets inflation to make it a non-factor and the currency is fully free-floating, thereby creating a great environment to invest. Political instability hasn't been a problem in ages and personal experience tells me that it never will be. To be Mexican means to accept your place in life and make the best of what you have. They go and protest every day over stupid things like high electric bills (that still are heavily subsidized) or lack of permission to have a "love parade", but they are not the types that ever question the legitimacy or strength of their government. That is why they have seen incredible foreign direct inflows of money. Savvy world investors haven't figured this out yet so get in now. The benefits of economic integration with the US and Canada are icing on the cake, there is little doubt in my mind this country can be G7 worthy in a generation as it overtakes Spain as the center of the Spanish speaking world and all the financial spoils that go with it. It might seem crazy now, but in 15-20 years I can see this country being at about 75-80% of the per capita income of Canada which would make it about 60% of the US. Right now its about 25%. All the anti-globalization people will hate it too, that is the best reward of it all! Make lots of money and piss off the tree-hugging crowd is the daily double if you ask me...