View Single Post
Old 12-11-2005, 06:40 AM

Default Re: What good are we? As poker players, are we socially responsible?

Wow, I love this thread.

I totally agree with the original poster....

IMHO Poker has very little value to "society". Not "none", but very little. It is all about the individual. It is among the most unsocial activities out there. Of course you can get entertained, have a bit of a laugh while playing, etc. But YOU play to WIN. You play to gain from the loss of others. Where is the by-product??? What is produced???

It takes man back to his natural instinct- in its rawest form- survival of the fittest- this isn't "social" behaviour.

Society has taught us through conditioning to play nicely and be sociable. Deep down, most people want as much as they can get- and in the easiest way possible.

It's what you do with that gain that's important. How "sociable" are you going to be with it? Help charitys. travel the world, etc, etc.

As for me, I am just setting out on my poker "career". I can;t even beat the micro's yet. But I have a vision of beating the small stakes in a year or so from now. This would add extra money to my income to do more "sociable" things with my family.

It seems to me that Poker is (potentially) a very "dangerous" activity. To beat the game you have adopt the most selfish behavioural patterns. If you do this and you are winning- a vortex starts spinning- you want more. Your values may change. You may be consumed. Achieving a healthy balance must be (I imagine) the hardest lesson of all.

Just my thoughts.

Ian