View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 01:33 AM

Default Re: randomized scrabble

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting. I think if the point values were randomized, someone with a more well-rounded knowlege of the official word list would fare better than the typical mid-level player that might memorize just the 3/4 letter JQXZ words.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point. I was actually thinking of something more along the lines of randomizing the number of each letter available in the grab bag, then adjusting each letter's point value accordingly.

[ QUOTE ]
Really good players get a lot of their points from making the 7-letter "bingos" though, so this wouldn't make as much of a difference. As far as randomizing the bonus squares, I don't think this would make a huge difference other than possibly giving a huge advantage to whoever goes first/second (just based on whether there are a lot of 2x/3x squares near the middle).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. When I first thought of this, I didn't think it would have much effect either way, since the bonus squares that are available to you are somewhat dependednt on your opponent's choice of where to play and what letters he used, in addition to the letters in your rack.