Thread: This TOC Thing
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Isn\'t this a redundant statement?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that gets you any closer to an answer to David's question because WSOP is defined as "all forty-five (45) events from June 2, 2005 through July 15, 2005, and its related satellites."

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent, I was about to ask if WSOP was a defined term.

Setting aside whether there actually was a contract, whether its good to the game and all that, assume for a minute that someone sued Harrah's and a contract violation was found. Anybody think of a good way to prove damages? I'm guessing that diminished equity would be too speculative for a court to make an award based on...anybody with any experience in this area?

Otherwise meritous cases can founder on the damages issue.

--Zetack

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually thought about this some as well, Zetack. I couldn't come up with any concrete damages (detrimental reliance damages seem a hopeless stretch), particularly when you lump in the fact that those who made it to the TOC (other than the three invitees) were awarded additional prizes simply for their place of finish in the various circuit events (and Main Event). I think it's a somewhat different case if the ONLY prize awarded in the circuit events had been entry to this event, in which case the diminished equity is more material to the overall prize awarded. Short of showing fraud (which, as you know, is always exceedingly difficult), I don't see a case here. Now, if some client would foot the billables for me to do actual research on this, maybe I could dig something up... lol.

Regards, Craig