View Single Post
Old 08-21-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Can a Former Addict become a good Poker Player?

I greatly admire all that you have accomplished. VERY few people could kick so many addictions.

But you said:

"They say, one step at a time.. blah blah blah ... Not who I am Now this does NOT mean I will succeed, and you may very well be right Al. But it isn't 'quite' as cut and dry as you put it.

"Some people will say...

"Well, once an alchoholic always an alchoholic"

"True?

"YES!

"I'm here trying to find out if it is true or not that once you have certain personalities that lead you to become a gambling addict.... Can you make it a game of skill - Or are you eternally doomed to repeat the same mistakes an alchoholic would make no matter how much effort you put into it."

End of quoted material.

The critical issue, as in all poker decisions, is EV. We compute EV by multiplying the probabilities of all outcomes times the rewards and risks.

You recognize that the probability of success is very low.

You recognize that the risks are enormous. You can start another cycle of addiction. Previous cycles nearly destroyed you.

If you succeed, you win a few dollars, and the odds are very high that you won't succeed.

Given these facts, what is the EV of deciding to play poker?

It is MASSIVELY negative.

You should know from your work with counselors that a major symptom of all addictions is denial: "Don't worry about me. I can handle it (alcohol, cocaine, heroin, gambling, etc.).

You're in denial now. Read your own posts. Review what has happened to you. Then ask, "Is it worth risking my entire life on the low probability that I can succeed where so many other gambling addicts have failed?"

Regards,

Al

Regards,

Al