View Single Post
Old 08-21-2005, 09:04 AM

Default Re: Can a Former Addict become a good Poker Player?

Al, out of all people that post here, especially this section of 2 + 2 I highly regard your opinion. I do think though, that your argument here is subjective. I say that for these reasons only.

Not because I believe I can beat the game at low levels, not because I think I can make spare change to pay me car payment, and most certainly not because I could ever even think at this point of my life I have the mind frame to play this game at a level YOU can.

But for ONCE in my life I am making the proper moves. I 'AM' dropping limits to where I feel I can beat the field. I am not playing $1K NL. I AM asking for advice and TRULY taking it to heart (including yours). I am making a concious effort to change the behavioral patterns that led me to the incredible mis fortune I have seen in my life.

I STILL will tell people to this day, even if I lsot $100K the night before (and it has happened) that poker is NOT a game of LUCK, it is a game of skill. Is luck involved?

ABSOLUTELY!!!

But skill trumps luck in the long run.

'You may succeed for a brief time, but the psychological characteristics that made you into an addict are still operating, and they will almost certainly continue to operate.'

This, is the main issue and the focus of this particular thread Al. I am Bi-Polar, I am an alchoholic, and I have abused damn near every drug known to man. They have ALL completely ruined my life in some way, shape, or form. Some worse than others.

I have control over my alchoholism, my drug addictions, and I have even quit smoking !!!! To put it into perspective to do all of those things over the course of 18 months is what ABSOLUTELY ANY DRUG COUNSELOR 'WILL' tell you is impossible and strongly .... strongly.... dis-advocated.

They say, one step at a time.. blah blah blah ... Not who I am [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Now this does NOT mean I will succeed, and you may very well be right Al. But it isn't 'quite' as cut and dry as you put it.

Some people will say...

"Well, once an alchoholic always an alchoholic"

True?

YES!

I'm here trying to find out if it is true or not that once you have certain personalities that lead you to become a gambling addict.... Can you make it a game of skill - Or are you eternally doomed to repeat the same mistakes an alchoholic would make no matter how much effort you put into it.

Do the sensible thing. Accept reality and the opinion of experts: Leave poker and all other forms of gambling alone.

ALL ther forms of gambling except poker have been left alone, if you knew the stories of my other forms of gambling, and the comps alone I have recieved in Vegas you would feel Pity for me. That is not what I am here for though.