View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Adjusting from super LAG play against specific opponents (long)

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys...

As a TAG player, it is my tendency to play each and every hand that I am in super-aggressive, and to never relinguish the pot. This is my general strategy for a full table, and generally, it works.

Whenever I am in a hand, I find that I become a super LAG postflop, and will stop at nothing to try and push another off a hand (be it better or worse than my own).

As of late, I have been playing some extreme shorthanded live play with some friends ($25NL, 3-4 handed)- many of them are calling stations and are incapable of making a laydown. They will frequently play for all their chips on top pair/no kicker and crap like that. Shorthanded opens my LAGish tendencies to a higher level, and I can't ever seem to lay hands down

So, my question is, how do you adjust according to your opponents. How can I become less loose/aggressive when it gets down to shorthanded play?

All my strong betting seems so automatic that it is slowly becoming highly unprofitable to play against these extreme calling stations. I will make strong moves at the river, and will usually be called by middle pair.

For instance- I had A7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] last night on a AK2 all [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] flop. My opponent bets and I raised him all in. This is my tendency- to try and bully him and push him off a better hand (in reality, my opponent held J7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and I was drawing dead).

Help me strive away from being too crazy post-flop. I don't know if there are any solutions, but any advice would help.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am no expert but predictable play is your downfall. If I am your opponent and I know you are going to bet the pot for me on every round I am going to use your aggressiveness against you an call down medicore hands. Now if you mix up your aggression you are less predictable.

PS Don't mix up weak players with calling stations as they are not the same and totally different types of players and aggression works differently.