View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 02:57 AM

Default Re: Basic Pot Odds Questions - Please Help a New Guy

[ QUOTE ]
As for the first question, what I meant was that the pot was $50 as the bet was to me. In other words, IF I call, the pot would then be $60 with my additional money. This being the case, are the odds 5 to 1 or 6 to 1.

It seems that you're saying, in this case, the odds are 5 to 1. Correct?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I don't know why this is getting so muddled (I'm not blaming you, I had a similar problem when I first learned the concept) but I'm going to try to clear it up here the best I can.

Let’s start preflop. Say 4 people put $10 in. Right now, the pot is $40.

Now on the flop someone bets $10 and you are next to act. Just take the $40 that was in before the flop and add the $10 the bettor just put in. Pot is now $50.

Now it’s your turn. You have to put $10 into a pot of $50, so the odds are 5 to 1.

So when you ask “IF I call, the pot will be $60” then no, you do not count it as $60. Whatever you have not yet put in the pot does not count.

Just tell me if this doesn’t make sense.

PS--I played at paradise poker yesterday for the first time and noticed that on the top of the screen they have a "Pot + Bets" amount. Checking that out might help you to see where you should get the figure for what is currently in the pot.