Thread: AQ off
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2005, 06:26 PM

Default Re: AQ off

[ QUOTE ]

I realize I may have come off harsh, but I was serious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Harshness is not a problem. It's the elliptical nature of your post that gets my goat. "You don't know what you're doing and I do... but I'm not telling you". Pointless.

I also realize that you didn't mean it that way; at least I hope not. I was just trying to encourage you (and by extension everybody else) to put valuable stuff in their posts. I can't tell you the number of posts I write out in detail and then don't send because I don't think they contribute enough. (And I only submitted that one thanks to a misclick!)

Okay let's talk strategy.

Capping preflop might be good. Why though? As naphand says, it's not obvious that we get value from the extra bet. Are there other advantages? We have the button and to a certain extent capping preflop gives up your positional advantage on the flop because everybody knows you will bet, so they check to you, so you have to act first!

I don't think the argument for a preflop cap is compelling. I'm happy either way. I'd also like to be convinced if it is indeed the best move; and I don't care how many people say "cap preflop" without an argument to back it up...

You suggest raising the flop. Why though? What are you putting SB on? He 3-bets preflop and bets this flop. We have ace high. There's a decent chance we are losing and a very good chance SB is taking his hand to showdown. We might back him into a shell with a raise but there are no prizes for that.

The raise is good if he's dominated since he will likely call. But in that case, if we don't raise, he will often bet the turn. Maybe waiting and raising the turn is good?

On the other hand maybe the flop raise is good because of the potential for a freebie on the turn. But do we really want to show weakness with a turn check? Sure makes it easier for him to play the river accurately.

I think there's a lot to discuss here if you start thinking about it, and I hope people who are less close to falling asleep at the keyboard than I am are able to contribute.

Guy.