View Single Post
Old 07-03-2005, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Dell 2005pfw, is it worth it.

Well, I never weighed the monitor by itself, but the receipt says 42lb boxed/shipped, so it's probably under 40lbs. A crude eyeballing with a ruler says it'd fit in a 19" cube ±1" on any given direction -- no, it's not a cube, but since I have mine on a stand, I don't want to post numbers that are more accurate than my actual measurements warrant. People do that all the time (even in scientific literature), and nothing good ever comes of it.

Basically, 3-4 them will easily fit, along with a mousepad and keyboard, on ANY "standard" desk, especially since the included stand allows for overhang with no loss of stability. If you can sit on your desk without worrying about a collapse, these CRTs shouldn't be a weight problem. It's definitely lighter than most 21" CRTs I've had

LCDs are much cooler and more energy efficient, but I find these CRTs much more than adequate for poker. I was in the market for a 2405, but now LCDs have completely fallen off my "Want" list. By 2007, we'll probably have 40" LCDs with a clarity beyond any affordable CRT, for the price of a 2405.

I say that as someone who built/installed HTPC-based 12-ft front projection HDTV/sound system in my living room years ago, when it was an insane geek prokject. So many people dropped their drinks when they walked into the room, and found themselves facing Charles Barkley dripping sweat and charging the camera --at several times actual life-size-- that my friends joked that replacing the carpet would end up costing more than the electronics.

I don't see a 2405FPW offering that level of bang for the buck. Not for me. YMMV