View Single Post
Old 04-16-2004, 03:07 AM

Default Results and Thoughts

Ok, well first let me tell you step by step exactly what it is that I did and why I did do it.

Preflop I capped it, but I was absolutely certain that my opponent had an overpair, he only 3-bets with overpairs preflop and premium ones at that.

On the flop I figured that I was either way way ahead or way behind and there aren't that many cards that can come to hurt me, so I thought about it and decided that I was going to checkraise this flop. The last few days I have been thinking and writing notes and reading about opportunities to checkraise, and I figured that this would be an appropriate time.

Well it was disappointing when the guy to my left checked as well, I was distraught, and especially when it was checked all the way around.

On the turn when the 6 fell. I believed that I know held the best hand, so after UTG checks to me, I lead out and now get called in all the spots.
My thinking was routine, I have the best hand, and these guys don't have much, I'm going to bet the river here unless an Ace comes because of the action that has just passed.

On the river fell a 7. A card which didn't seem to help anyone. Instead this time UTG comes out and says "I'll bet."

I pondered a bit about 10 seconds. I looked at the board, and considered folding, but I just couldn't make myself fold. Now I know that the majority is going to jump on me here and say not to fold, but how could UTG possibly be betting here to steal this, its not likely of him, he's not that creative. He doesn't think like (WE) the two plus two community thinks.

I call for the .0005% chance that he's bluffing, which I know he's not and now I'm going against my judgement here, i called but I didn't like it. The guy to my left calls. and the 3-bet cold caller raised.

When the 3-better raised it I zoned right in on him.... a dead stare, I knew he didn't have anything. To me his cards were face up, he had nothing. I knew he had nothing, just by looking at him.

UTG murmurs and calls, and I yet make the 3rd mistake of the hand by calling again when I know I'm beat.

UTG +1 calls again.

The river raiser shouts out straight!!! He turns over a Q5o. He doesn't have a straight. He has nothing.

UTG turns over a beautiful T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for the back door gut shot straight. I muck quietly and the man to my left flashes 2 Jacks and mucks.

Tommy Angelo brings up a very fine point by betting the flop and not disrupting the flow of the things especially because I put in the last bet preflop.

He is right.

I made a mistake. Am I mad that I lost to a runner gutshot straight, absolutely not.

I'm mad because I made 3 errors in this hand and that is the way I should be looking at it.