View Single Post
Old 08-05-2004, 07:09 PM

Default Re: How to defend against a Crazy Fabsoul situation

[ QUOTE ]
I see no reason to pass up small edge situations while waiting for large-edge situations to come along. Particularly when the former plays such a causal role in creating the latter.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. But the problem is that preflop - depending on your position vs. FabS. - hands as you know run closer. If you take it down to trying to get it all in PF with a pair of tens, you stand to lose big time. Check out a Poker Calculator or Twodimes sim of where a pair of tens gets you in PLO vs two or three random opponents. You lose! (Or win barely at all).

The other issue is utility. Would you play a gambling game where you have a 2% edge and when you win you only get say $20 but when you lose, you lose $200. Overtime you will be ahead, but the variance requires an enormous bankroll. What is the benefit to you of this scenario?

And you also face the problem of being at a nine-handed table. What happens when you try and get it all in against Fabs with your pair of tens and random sidecards when somebody else has the Aces or Ks. They'll be licking their lips. You will be the fish now.

Also, how are small edges a causal factor in big edges?

Edges come from two factors, as far as I can see. 1. Having better cards preflop.

2. Being able to outplay the OPs.

If the cards you hold don't give you an edge, you are nullifying any ability you have to outplay someone on and after the flop.

I'm not sure I agree with Dave either that one of the problems you face is the limitations of the Stars buy in.

In RL, you would still be going uphill if you were down a couple of buy ins and hoped to get it all back in one session. Won't happen - well, rarely.

Cheers.