View Single Post
Old 04-22-2002, 11:33 AM

Default I never *ever* turn sets

So, my wife and I and a couple of a friends are having a blast this past Saturday, wasting an entire day playing poker at the Mirage poker room. My wife had entered rgp's TARGET poker tournament - after she busted out, we got in a 6-12. Friend Eugene was in a nearby 3-6.

At some point, Eugene comes over to check up on us, and says to me, "By the way - you've got a real admirer sitting next to me that would love to talk to you. If you stop by, I'll introduce you."

At my next bathroom break I head towards Eugene's table. On his left, a pleasant-enough looking old man. On his right, a drop dead gorgeous tall 30-year-old blonde. With a killer smile.

Now, Sklansky says we have to think about poker away from the poker table. And you have to think about 30-year-old blondes away from your wife. Or something like that.

But I do the obvious thing: I figure my outs. I figure it's about like turning a set - I'm about 23:1 against.

I walk over - say hi to Eugene. He says hi, then turns to his left and introduces me to the very pleasant older gentleman named John. John is a huge fan of my book and gives me a couple of very nice compliments. I thank him and go on to the restroom.

I never turn sets.

Regards, Lee